Team USA has won the 27th Haarlem Baseball Week. They defeated Japan 6-3 in the Gold Medal Game at Pim Mulier Stadium in Haarlem, Netherlands on Sunday. The invitational tournament was played from July 11 to 20, 2014 with the United States, Japan, Chinese Taipei and the Netherlands.
Japan and Team USA dominated the double round robin first round with four respective five wins. In the semi-finals on Saturday the US squad, which consisted of the best college players from the country, defeated Chinese Taipei 4-1. In the second semi-final Japan edged out the Dutch National Team 2-1 in extra innings.
For Team USA (Collegiate) it was the fourth Honkbalweek title after 2000, 2002 and 2008. The HHW is held every two years, alternating with the second big international tournament in the Netherlands, World Port Tournament in Rotterdam.
Final Standings Honkbalweek:
4) Chinese Taipei
- Best pitcher: Seigi Tanaka (Japan) 0.00 in 17 innings
- Best hitter: DJ Stewart (USA) .435
- Best defensive player: Tatsuhiro Shibata (Japan)
- Homeruns: Seigo Yada (Japan)
- MVP Honkbalweek: Alex Bregman (USA)
- Most popular player according to the fans: Chris Okey (USA)
- Press award: Steve Janssen (Netherlands NT manager)
More information also on www.honkbalweek.nl
Photo by USA Baseball